This regulation explains requirements for manufacturing, importing, buying, selling, and transporting firearms and ammunition.
Important topics include:
- Definitions of terms used in this regulation
- Prohibited shipment, transportation, possession, or receipt of firearms and ammunition by certain persons
- Armor piercing ammunition manufacture, import, and sale (exemptions)
- Licensing of manufacturers and importers, collectors, and dealers
- Administrative actions (license denial, revocation, suspension, or fine)
- Conduct of business or activity by licensees
- Importation of firearms and ammunition
- Records and reports required of licensees
- Firearms transaction record
- Acquisition and disposition record
- Exempt interstate and foreign commerce
- Relief from firearms prohibitions
Other popular topics:
- Identification of firearms and armor piercing ammunition by licensed manufacturers and licensed importers.
- Importation of ammunition feeding devices.
- Record of transactions.
- Reporting theft or loss of firearms.
- Prohibited shipment, transportation, possession, or receipt of firearms and ammunition by certain persons.
Search 27 CFR Part 478
Some example topic searches:
- Antique firearm
- Armor piercing ammunition
- Business premises
- Curio or relic firearm
- Destructive device
- Firearm frame or receiver
- Large capacity ammunition feeding device
- Machine gun
- Prohibited person
- Unserviceable firearm
Legal limitations of this tool
The ATF’s eRegulations tool is an editorial compilation of material and not an official legal edition of the Code of Federal Regulations or the Federal Register . We have made every effort to ensure the material presented in this tool is accurate, but if you are relying on it for legal research you should consult the official editions of those sources to confirm your findings. Nothing in this tool binds ATF or creates any rights, benefits, or defenses, substantive or procedural, that are enforceable by any party in any manner.